Don’t give up. If you work outside of the home, you deal with this issue year-round. Busy parents have developed all kinds of strategies to make working out work out.
- Up and at ’em: Get your work out done before the day gets away from you. If you have your exercise clothes all laid out, your alarm set, and your work out plan in place, it will happen. Stick with it and it gets easier as it becomes a habit – like brushing your teeth.
- Make an appointment: If you put it on the calendar, it’s more likely to happen. With a family calendar, you can write it down so everyone knows that you are headed to Pilates after work on Thursday.
- Buddy up: It sounded so good last night, but when the alarm goes off, you might find a reason to roll over and skip the run, unless you have a running partner. Showing up for someone else can be much easier than showing up for yourself, and you both win in the end.
- Ditch your car: To get to soccer practice, hop on your bike, grab the jog stroller, or plan to walk or run while the kids practice. It might be tempting to grab some down time, but set a good example for your kids and everyone will be relaxed and happy after their work outs.
- Join in the fun: The playground is full of exercise equipment. You can do step-ups, incline push-ups or pull-ups while the kids are running around. Or, run around with them!
Enjoy the opportunity to be active all summer long. But, if pain gets in the way of enjoying movement, schedule an appointment at ALTA. We’ all help you put fun back into fitness