- Rotate side to side with no resistance, keeping your feet planted. You want to rotate from the hips as well as the shoulders.
- Perform 10-15 rotations side to side.
RDL (Romanian deadlift) for hip hinging mechanics:
- Many of us tend to use our back for shoveling. We want to emphasize utilizing our legs and our hips to drive the strength of shoveling.
- The goal with a RDL is to hinge at the hips and bring the shovel along your shins.
- Perform 10-15 RDLs with your shovel to activate those hip muscles.
- When shoveling, utilize the hip hinge to get into a good position for your core to be activated.
- As pictured, bend at the knees and hips to bring your center of mass lower.
- The shoveling motion should then be driven from your legs: see the transition from picture 1 to 2 below.