Running Analysis | ALTA Physical Therapy & Pilates
Injury Rehab and Prevention
ALTA is the leading clinic for runners in Boulder, CO. Whether you need to recover from an injury, prevent further damage to your body, or simply optimize your running stride, our team will support you as you strive to reach your goals.
Our running specialist, Nina Carson, PT, DPT, OCS, has been analyzing runners since 2014. During her work in the biomechanics lab at Humboldt State and as an assistant coach for cross country and track, Nina developed crucial skills in clinical and research-based running analysis.
Nina isn’t just an expert in analysis, though — she also knows the frustration of running injured. After a season-ending foot injury in college, Nina vowed to stay injury-free for the rest of her collegiate career. Her passion to help runners stems from those painful personal experiences.
If you’re injured, you need to give your tissues time to heal. We know how hard it can be to take time off when you love to run, which is why we transform your “rest” into active, focused rehab. Our cutting-edge Alter G treadmill allows you to address the problems that led to your injury while minimizing stress on your body so that you can return to top form at a healthy pace.
Even if you aren’t injured, our running analysis will make you a better runner! We’ll target weaknesses, tweak imbalances, and eliminate inefficiencies, so you can run longer, recover faster, and kick butt on the Bolder Boulder.
The golden rule:
“It’s better to be five pounds overweight or undertrained than to be fit as a fiddle and on the sidelines due to injury,” said every coach ever.
When treating runners, Nina has lots of tools at her disposal, gathered during her PT education, orthopedic residency, and work alongside foot and ankle researchers. Based on your unique needs and goals as a runner, she’ll craft a treatment plan that will get you back on the track or trail and help you reach peak efficiency.
In our running analysis, we will:
- Analyze your run at a training pace (after a warm-up, of course!).
- Record your run from several angles to check running mechanics.
- Test your range of motion and strength.
- Do a movement analysis to isolate imbalances, depending on the type of terrain you’re targeting (road, trail, etc.).
You’ll leave with:
- An analysis of specific form changes you should make to run with ease.
- An exercise plan to address weakness and tightness.
- A plan to increase volume without injury.
- Modifications to continue running during your recovery (if needed).
- Ways to improve your competitive edge in races.
- A plan for future visits (as necessary).
Who benefits from a run analysis?
- Runners with chronic or recurrent injuries
- People who run with pain
- Runners who want to improve their speed and technique
- Beginners who want to start “on the right foot” with a running program
- Runners who want to test out their footwear
- In short — nearly everyone!
At ALTA, we tailor your program to keep you injury-free and help you achieve your running and fitness goals. The human body is beautifully adapted for walking and running, but you need a skilled professional by your side to identify limitations and impairments.If you’re ready to get back into prime shape — and dominate your next hike, race, or outdoor adventure in Colorado — make an appointment with ALTA’s team today.